A Kinder, More Compassionate Community

By

September 10, 2015

As one of the six pastors who signed a letter in the Daily Record, July 8, 2015, entitled "Clergy Support Ruling on Gay Marriage," I was profoundly saddened by some of the responses in the Letters to the Editor of the Daily Record. Many of the letters became deeply personal in their attack, especially against LGBTQ people.  I think it is important for us, as part of the larger Wooster/Wayne County community, to reflect on this public debate as it asks the fundamental question of who we as a community aspire to be as a people.

This question becomes increasingly important as we do realize the rapid pace at which our society is changing and that Wooster, Ohio is not sheltered from this change.  In fact, as a college community, the seat of Wayne County, a town with strong economic development and an excellent school district, we often find ourselves in the center of this change as we are a desirable community that attracts a diverse populace.  It is in this context that the debate this past summer is so much broader and deeper than just marriage equality as it also relates to all those who are different from the mainstream, which is predominately white, male, heterosexual, and Evangelical Christian, to include woman, people of color, differing economic status, and different beliefs.

Taking this “threat of change” into consideration, I do now realize that we as a clergy could have been more mindful of how upsetting the Supreme Court decision was to many in our community as it represents such a huge cultural shift in our country that runs much deeper than “just” marriage equality.  For this lack of sensitivity I apologize on behalf of myself and the community of faith that I represent as pastor, Westminster Presbyterian Church.

While I do apologize for my lack of sensitivity, I do not apologize for signing the letter with my colleagues as I think it was, and still is, important that people of the LGBTQ community, and for that matter all people on the fringes of society, know that there are welcoming communities of faith, affirming that we all are created in the Image of God and are people with infinite worth and beauty.  In our efforts to make Wooster, Ohio a more compassionate, welcoming, and inclusive community I think it is important that we do not get distracted by some of the angry and demonizing responses that were written in response to our letter.  It appears that some of these responses represent a voice that is so used to being the “mainstream opinion” that in righteous, self-indignant anger they seemed almost desperate to turn the attention back to a narrative that excludes and dehumanizes “the other”, especially the LGBTQ community.

For LGBTQ people, their families, and allies, this was a painful public debate as some of these letters felt like bullying, something so may in the LGBTQ community are all too familiar with.  Fortunately, there were also numerous voices who refused to be silent in the midst of anger and violence, reminding us of the community we aspire to be as we grow in generosity of judgement and create a more welcoming community here in Wooster, Ohio for an increasingly diverse and pluralistic society. For those voices we are forever thankful as they reminded us of what we are about as a people!

Personally I think we all will do well if we become more mindful of one another, reach out in kindness, grow in compassion, and most of all, start practicing the Golden Rule:

‘In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 7:12, NRSV).

Keywords: lgbtq
General Blog Archive
Related Topics
lgbtq (6)
Comments (24) - Post a Comment
Dries, eloquently stated! Thank you and God bless.
Sharon Solomon at 9:12pm EDT - September 11, 2015
Nicely put! Thanks you for sharing this.
Karen Wood at 9:32pm EDT - September 11, 2015
Thank you Sharon and Karen for taking the time to read my blog and helping to make our world a kinder, more compassionate place for all!
Andries Coetzee at 8:55am EDT - September 12, 2015
Actually, this community's going much stronger than I had initially expected. While the essaymama.com review mentioned about it all and that's something which I personally liked. This community is going to be much more liberated.
Milo Archer at 8:08am EST - February 12, 2018
Learn more about best niacin supplement brands from hghofficial site.
Steven Angelina at 3:43am EST - March 8, 2018
Various points and aspects of the community as you describe them on here are really looking pretty interesting. People always want to hire best writers from https://www.essayuniverse.net/essayclick-net-review/
for that purpose they like to read reviews.
Brayden Toll at 5:06am EDT - March 13, 2018
Yeah, it was pretty painful for them indeed. I hope everything will be fine eventually. Read the best essay reviews here.
Vince at 3:32am EDT - May 11, 2018
Get unlimited fun with your console without spending anything; you just need to use Free Xbox Live Gold membership codes nothing else.
xbox live generator
xbox live generator at 3:20am EDT - June 13, 2018
Lawrence at 2:15am EDT - September 5, 2018
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks...
Parallel Profits Bonus
james at 8:20pm EST - November 24, 2018
Prevent cheat codes in matches which rely on your ability. You wish to prevent this because it goes contrary to the purpose of the game. With no destroying the experience, codes along with suggestions can help you greatly and improve your game play.
Hacksmista.com at 1:39am EST - December 21, 2018
Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me.
zalo download
Dicando at 2:07am EST - December 26, 2018
I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.

prepaid lights in navarro county
james at 3:35pm EST - January 21, 2019
Video games are an excellent way to spend time with loved ones, or even yourself. Video games can be used for anything, even weight loss. You can get the most from the games by reading this article.
Facebook Password Sniper
Sketchup Pro Crack
mark at 2:13am EST - January 24, 2019
Thank you for leaving such a beautiful legacy and a lasting impact on me
apex at 6:25am EST - February 24, 2019
You will never get yourself a six pack of abs by doing crunches all the time. Abdominal exercises do strengthen your muscles; however, they don't burn belly fat. If you desire to have washboard abs, you need to improve your diet and also take part in cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.
chocol" target="_new" rel="nofollow">Aliza at 8:23am EDT - March 11, 2019
When playing baseball and trying to hit a home run, hit the ball with a slight angle and an upper cut towards the center. This will make the ball have more hang time in the air, and the more probable chance of you scoring a home run than a line drive.
chocolate slim Reviews

Aliza at 8:28am EDT - March 11, 2019
chocolate slim Reviews at 8:28am EDT - March 11, 2019
I am looking forward to get new about the actor and executors try it for more pieces of information.
Free V bucks at 8:07am EDT - April 8, 2019
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along.. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading.
온라인카지노 at 1:43pm EDT - May 19, 2019
Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
바카라사이트 at 1:46pm EDT - May 19, 2019
i was just browsing along and came upon your blog. just wanted to say good blog and this article really helped me.
UnitedFinances.com offer $500 loan at 12:13pm EDT - June 16, 2019
Great post, you have pointed out some excellent points, I as well believe this is a very superb website.
nursing.hu at 1:22pm EDT - June 21, 2019
Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us.
myshapeit at 3:31pm EDT - June 22, 2019