Welcome, Emily!

By

October 22, 2015

This position came to fruition from the exciting growth we have experienced as a community of faith that earnestly seeks to create a just and lasting culture of peace through spirituality, intentionality, and partnerships. The YAPW will be active in all aspects of Westminster's ministry, cultivating our identity as an intergenerational community that seeks to be "Intentionally Inclusive", especially ministering to our children, youth and college age students.

The position also focuses on vocational discernment for the YAPW, as many young adults complete a year of faith-based service through the Presbyterian Church (USA)'s Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) program where they experience profound transformation and find themselves discerning a call to ministry. Westminster on the campus of The College of Wooster is an ideal community of faith for such unearthing to take place, as one can fully express oneself among an open, accepting, creative people.

Not only will Emily be the first person to fulfill this ministry, but she will help Westminster to further develop this opportunity. Emily is thrilled, nervous, and excited to accept this new challenge; she will be transitioning from the "dry heat" 100 degree-plus desert climate of Tucson, Arizona to the Midwest winter of Wooster, Ohio. While this is new territory for her, there is nothing too foreign about the PC(USA). She has engaged in a two-week-long program at the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary for young adults exploring vocation (2009 & 2013), attended General Assembly as a Young Adult Advisory Delegate (YAAD) in 2010, and served as a Young Adult Volunteer (YAV) in Tucson this past year (2014-2015)....among a medley of other things related to this "frozen chosen."

However, as much as she sees herself as a kind of "poster-child for the PC(USA)" at times, she is humbly and authentically in love with exploring other faiths, religions, cultures, ethnicities and upbringings other than her own. In particular, over this past year, she has been able to view service through a more critical lens, asking questions of: "When is the church doing more to hurt than help?" and "Am I as a white Christian viewing race through a 'colorblind' perspective?" During her YAV year, she has lived into the comfort and discomfort of intentional and accountable Christian community with other young women from South Korea, Alabama, San Francisco, Texas, and Maryland. Living in "The Borderlands" has taught Emily the importance of building up boundaries to maintain healthy relationships and practice self-care and simultaneously knowing when to cross them for the sake of reconciliation and respecting the Body of Christ in its diverse array. To learn more about Emily you can visit her blog, Desert Discoverings Emily Oshinskie's Year of Service & Simple Living in the Southwest.

We are looking forward to welcoming her to Wooster and Westminster in worship on November 7, 2015!

General Blog Archive
Related Topics
Comments (22) - Post a Comment
Welcome, Emily! It will be great to see you again. I'm thrilled you are tackling this ministry, and I pray God's blessings on you and Westminster in this exciting endeavor.
Rev. Tricia Petraven at 8:21am EDT - October 24, 2015
Wooo! Go big sis! Welcome back to winter! Fulfilling your title of frozen chosen for real! I'm so excited for you and it's gonna be a great journey!
Ali Oshinskie at 10:59am EDT - October 24, 2015
What a small Presbyterian world ... how do you and Emily know one another Tricia? I am so excited for this connection as we deepen our ministries as neighboring congregations!
And Ali, hope to meet you in the near future as you will hopefully visit your sister here in Wooster!
Andries at 11:59am EDT - October 24, 2015
Good day all! What joyous news. I'm excited to see this chapter unfold!...from tolland mass. Blessings
Doreen Oshinskie at 12:10pm EDT - October 24, 2015
We are so excited to have you join us in ministry, Emily. A new person to love in our midst! So looking forward to meeting you in person and getting to know you. Speaking as someone who came here a stranger, this community will welcome you with open arms. Blessings on your journey as you leave beloved familiar and travel towards new opportunities to grow and love.
Beth Coetzee at 12:43pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Rev. Andries thank you for the very warm welcome you and the search committee have extended to Emily. Iam truly exciting to see the grand things to come. Thank you for creating this exciting position.

Doreen Oshinskie
Doreen Oshinskie at 12:46pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Emily, I'll be so excited to greet you at WPC in Wooster. After seeing you on the Skype interview I was hoping you would want to join us. Can't wait to welcome you to our wonderful congregation!! Safe travels.
Elaine Smith Snyder at 1:41pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Welcome to Wooster! We enjoyed your interview and now we are even more glad to welcome you to Westminister!
April Gamble at 3:35pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Welcome, Emily! I'm looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to Westminster!
Linda Barbu at 8:20pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Welcome, Emily, and all the best as you make the transition from your time in Arizona to your new position here as Young Adult Peace Worker. I look forward to meeting you soon.
Cheryl Weiss at 9:32pm EDT - October 24, 2015
How wonderful it is that you are joining us at Westminster. I look forward to welcoming you into our community. Wooster may be colder than Tuscon, but your welcome will be warm and heartfelt.

Nahida Gordon at 10:02pm EDT - October 24, 2015
Dries and Westminster people, Emily grew up attending the church in West Hartford that I joined in Connecticut while attending seminary. It became my church of care and is where my ordination was held. I've had the pleasure of seeing Emily accept and fulfill the call to Tucsan, which was life changing for her and such a joy to witness. Emily is living with eyes wide open and is passionate about the same things as the Wooster Westminster Pres. You are a perfect fit! And Emily, Wooster Westminster is where I preached my first service in Ohio while candidating for my current position. They welcomed me so graciously! They are activists, passionate about justice, and open/affirming to the LGBTQIA community. I can't imagine a better match for you.
Rev. Tricia Petraven at 7:09am EDT - October 25, 2015
Welcome, Emily! So glad to hear that you will be joining in ministry at Westminster Presbyterian. I'm looking forward to meeting you and to seeing the ways that Westminster and Interfaith Campus Ministries at The College of Wooster may be able to continue work together in the future! Safe travels to Ohio. :)
Jillian Yoder at 4:37pm EDT - October 26, 2015
Emmy
Mom and I are thrilled that you have found a position that fits you so well !
Our prayers are with you and Westminster as you journey together growing in God's love. Love, Dad
Len Oshinskie at 6:42am EDT - October 27, 2015
Hi everyone! Wow. I'm overwhelmed by the warm welcome and kind words! Thank you for inviting me not only into this new position but also into this community! Yes, it will be tough to go from 40-50 degree winter weather back to the winter weather of 10-20 degrees but luckily I'm a New Englander! I look forward to getting to know you all better in these next months!
Emily at 8:27pm EST - November 11, 2015
When any guests came to our home we should firstly welcomed us and blessed us with our prayers then they feels happy and fresh. This site rushessay custom writing service help us to guide in a right direction that how we welcomed our guests.
Sofia McNeill at 7:14am EST - December 25, 2017
Klondike is the ultimate version of solitaire games no need to download and register it just go online and play it klondike solitaire there are lots of interesting tools which makes it better than other one.
klondike solitaire at 1:04am EST - February 14, 2018
It is with excitement that the Session of Westminster introduces Emily Oshinskie in the newly created Young Adult Peace Worker (YAPW) position at Westminster. play run 3 game
joycejames at 3:22am EDT - September 27, 2018
This is a really warm interview, I'm impresssed, I decided to visit Wooster and Westminster one day for sure. I like to write different types of essays about my trips and, I think, it could be one more such a wonderful descriptive essay topic
Lily at 9:07am EST - November 8, 2018
Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs.
zalo download
velocha at 2:09am EST - December 26, 2018
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. fort worth roofing repair
jovoci jovoci at 9:56am EST - December 26, 2018